Ask around town and you’ll hear a lot of talk about sustainability and environmentally responsible business practices. Missoulians cultivate a balanced community rich in ethical business practices, community assistance, and responsible neighborhood development.
Though sustainability and living green aren’t necessarily byproducts of the lifestyle most Missoulians lead, they’re darn close. Sustainability is a high priority in multiple areas of the local economy, and the building industry is no exception.
- Particularly noticeable strides have been made in adherence to sustainable building and development practices
- Neighborhoods in Missoula boast walkable streets, open space, connectivity, lots of trees
- Most commercial construction in the downtown area is done on previously developed land, or by renovating existing buildings – something that helps reduce sprawl and save on transportation costs
- Many Missoula architects, contractors and builders take great pains to work in compliance with industry indicators of green building such as the LEED® Green Building Rating System, NAHB’s Model Green Home Building Guidelines, Green Globes, and other assessment tools and certifications.
Check out the links below for great local housing, real estate, and development information on all things green:
- Greening UM – The University of Montana’s Green Resource
- Home Resource – A building materials re-use center
- The Missoula Building Industry Association – A non-profit, membership-based association of builders, plumbers, bankers, excavators, and more
- The Missoula Housing Authority – A public non-profit organization that provides safe and affordable housing to individuals and families
- The Missoula Sustainable Business Council – A non-profit that helps raise community awareness and build sustainable business practices
- The Missoula Urban Demonstration Project – An organization to help Missoulians become greener and more self-sufficient
- Missoula Valley Recycling – and Garden City Recycling are private recycling services that offer home pick-up
- Sustainable Building Systems – SBS offers an integrated suite of energy efficiency and sustainable building services.