The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter, kenterphotography.com

Posts Tagged ‘Missoula History’

Stories And Stones Historical Tour

Journey into the past as 18 volunteers in period costume narrate life stories of individuals from Missoula’s past. Sunday, Sept. 16 12:30-3:30. Free Admission.... more

Missoula City Cemetery Presents Stories and Stones Historical Tour Oct 27

One of Missoula’s oldest cemeteries presents an afternoon of history coming to life through the stories of individuals from Missoula’s past.... more