The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter,

Posts Tagged ‘UM Track & Field’

Montana’s Emry Makes It to Indoor Track & Field Nationals

By JOEL CARLSON - Montana junior Austin Emry can officially pack his bags and ship his poles. He’s headed to Fayetteville, Ark., later this week for the 2013 NCAA indoor track and field championships to compe... more