The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter,

Posts Tagged ‘Memorial Day Patrols’

Click it or Ticket this Memorial Day Weekend

By GINNY MIRRIAM - Local and state law enforcement agencies across the state will be providing extra patrols through June 4 to enforce seat belt laws and save lives. ... more