The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter, kenterphotography.com

Posts Tagged ‘Joe Glenn’

2001 National Champion Griz to Reunite for a Good Cause

Led by former head coach Joe Glenn, the 2001 Griz are set to make their triumphant return to Missoula for a team reunion on Oct. 15 and an on-field celebration.... more