The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter,

Posts Tagged ‘Festival of the Dead Parade’

Celebrate Missoula’s Festival of the Dead Activities

Celebrate Missoula's Festival of the Dead Activities this week with Face painting at ZACC, The Festival of the Dead Process followed by the parade, Latin Dance Night at Monk's, and the First Annual Die Local Ba... more