The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter,

Posts Tagged ‘Carroll College Saints’

Montana’s Quiet Football Dynasty: The Fighting Saints of Carroll College

By DILLON TABISH - The spotlight shines bright on UM Griz football. Down in Helena, a quiet dynasty continues to reign as one of the best NAIA college football programs in the US.... more