The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter,

Posts Tagged ‘Bonner School’

Children’s Musician Bill Harley Comes to Missoula

By JEN SLAYDEN - When Bonner School principal Ashley Parks found out that Bill Harley was coming to Missoula for a concert, she sprung into action to bring his talent to students at Bonner.... more