PHOTO GALLERY: UM Grizzlies vs San Diego


The Montana Grizzlies were victorious Saturday night, a 67-66 barnburner that takes the team to 4-1 in non-conference play.

After trailing for the majority of a somewhat lackluster first half, the Griz shook off their turkey-induced lethargy and fought back to provide Dahlberg Arena with an electric final two minutes.

Thanks to the beyond-the-arc efforts of Kevin Henderson and Michael Weisner, as well as freshman center Andy Martin’s stifling defense, the Griz were able to pull within one point at halftime.

Mathias Ward came out of the locker room with his boots laced, keeping his squad neck and neck with the Toreros and ultimately finishing the game with 23 points.  His work from mid-range brought the Griz within four points with approximately two minutes left, at which time Kareem Jamar blocked a crucial San Diego shot and initiated a series that ended in a fairytale Montana victory.

DeShields made one of two free throws on the ensuing possession, pushing the score to 62-65 in favor of San Diego.  Two consecutive missed shots and an intentional foul later, San Diego missed their free throw chance thanks to a thundering Dahlberg Arena, and Montana called a timeout with 20.6 seconds left.

Ward’s layup brought the tally to 64-65, forcing the Griz into an intentional foul and sending San Diego to the line with 9.8 seconds on the clock.  One of two free throws dropped, taking the board to 64-66 San Diego and setting the stage for a dramatic finish.

After the inbound and with only 2.6 seconds on the clock, sophomore forward Kevin Henderson scored the game-winning three pointer off an assist from Jamar, a beautiful nothing-but-net trey from in front of the Grizzly bench that blew the roof off the Adam’s Center and decisively dashed the hopes of the Toreros.

The Griz will be look to maintain their momentum on the road for games on November 28th and 30th, to return for the Carroll College matchup in Missoula on Saturday, December 8th.