Editor’s note: Make It Missoula is all about making and sustaining connections between Missoulians and Western Montanans. If your business or non-profit has a community event coming up or an informative, locally-focused press release to share, let us help you spread the word! Send your press release to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Friday, November 2, 2012 will mark the 20th year of the uniquely Missoula tradition — Festival of the Dead — an annual, all-inclusive, multicultural event that honors life and death through community involvement in the arts.
Inspired by the traditions of El Dia de los Muertos, the Festival includes a month of arts workshops, events, and performances, culminating in a traditional Day of the Dead processional down Higgins Avenue to Caras Park.
VSA Montana, ZACC, and Hospice of Missoula are partnering to offer events and all of the events are open and welcoming of anyone who wants to participate.
Don’t hesitate to call or email Tarn Ream with questions. 549-7933.
- Saturday, October 27: ZACC Little Artist Pasta Skeleton Workshop, 1-2pm at ZACC, FREE!! co-sponsored by Hospice of Missoula, preregister at ZACC
- Saturday, October 27: Festival of the Dead Ball to benefit the Foundation for Hospice of Missoula, 7-11pm at the Crystal Theatre, buy tickets early!!
- Sunday, October 28: Hospice of Missoula Memorial Service, 2-4pm at Red Willow (825 W. Kent Ave.)
- Tuesday, October 30: Draughtworks Brewery Chug for Charity Fundraiser, 5-8pm—be on hand as a special Festival of the Dead brew, a Mexican chocolate porter, is unveiled at 5pm!! There will be special edition 20th Anniversary t-shirts and pint glasses on sale, as well as a silent auction and fun give-aways! And a guest appearance by Unity Dance & Drum! Come join us for a fun evening! Proceeds go to expenses involved in putting on the parade.
- Friday, November 2: ZACC Sugar Skulls and Facepainting prior to Festival of the Dead Parade, 2-5pm at ZACC, FREE! co-sponsored by Hospice of Missoula
- Friday, November 2: Missoula Mandala Project, 11am-4pm, Caras Park
- Friday, November 2: Festival of the Dead Procession Performances start at 5:30p at Circle Square Hypsy Gypsies followed by Jebe Bara Parade starts at 6:30pm at Circle Square Performances by Unity Dance & Drum and the UM African Dance Class at Caras Park at end of parade (start at ~7:15p)
- Friday, November 2: Hospice of Missoula will host a First Friday art event at the Loft following the procession and into the evening.
- Saturday, November 3: Missoula Mandala Project Sweeping Away Ceremony, noon, Caras Park
- Get in the Halloween Spirit at the Haunted Dragon Hollow
- Coming Soon: Reality Plays Itself at the Big Sky Documentary Film Festival
- Press Release: Highlights from New Belgium Brewing’s Missoula Clips of Faith
- UM Students Team Up with St. Jude Hospital for Up ‘Til Dawn Fundraiser
- Santa Claus Comes to Missoula on Friday, Nov. 16