The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter,

Posts Tagged ‘missoula maggots’

2013 Maggotfest Comes to Missoula May 11 and 12

Rugby teams from across the U.S. and around the world will converge on Missoula for Maggotfest 2013 on May 11 and 12 at the Fort Missoula rugby fields.... more