The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter, kenterphotography.com

Posts Tagged ‘dui crash’

Extra Patrols are Out to Deter Impaired Driving

Alcohol-impaired driving crashes make the Fourth of July one of the deadliest holidays of the year, so the Missoula Police Department is stepping up traffic patrols to help keep travelers safe.... more