The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter,

Posts Tagged ‘convention and visitors bureau’

Spartan Race Expected to Bring Big Economic Boost to the Flathead

By JUSTIN FRANZ - Organizers of the 2013 Montana Spartan Race start to build the course for the May 11 event in Bigfork.... more