The Story Behind the "M"

The "M" is 620 feet above the Missoula Valley floor. It is 125' feet long and 100' feet wide. University of Montana forestry students cut the switchbacks into the side of the hill in the early 1900's. The first "M" was assembled out of whitewashed rocks in 1909, and given a fresh coat of paint by freshmen every year, until 1968, when all those rocks were cemented together with concrete.

Photo by Nelson Kenter,

Posts Tagged ‘Arts & Culture’

Missoula Art Museum: American Abstract Artists June 5 – August 29

In 1997 American Abstract Artists donated 40 prints to MAM, and a portion of this remarkable portfolio was exhibited. For the first time, MAM is thrilled to show all 40 prints. The Exhibit runs June 5-Aug. 29... more