With the growing presence of free social media, it is more possible than ever to make yourself visible to hiring managers and recruiters. Take it a step further and create a social media brand for yourself.
Create a strong personal brand online
- Make sure your resume includes the web address to your public LinkedIn profile. Is that profile complete, up-to-date, and as rich as it could be?
- Publicize your knowledge of any given topic related to the type of job you are seeking (write online articles, for example)
- Start a blog (free) about your professional expertise, and then link that blog to your Twitter feed (free), your Facebook page (free), and your LinkedIn profile (free again!)
- Make sure that your photos and personal comments on Facebook and other social media sites reflect you in a positive way
Use social media for job research
- Search online job boards for job opportunities
- Follow industry blogs to stay on top of trends and “secret” job openings
- “Like” companies you are interested in on Facebook and follow them on Twitter
- Join LinkedIn industry groups
- While on LinkedIn, seek out hiring managers for companies you’re interested in to make connections or to follow up after applying
Are you new to social media and wondering where to start? Or perhaps you have a foundation, but are ready to make more effective use of social media in your job search? Visit the pages in this section of our site for practical and helpful hints no matter your level of social media skill. Be sure to visit the “Work It” blog for regular job hunting tips, too!