The Montana Grizzlies are known (and feared) nationwide for their powerhouse football program—and fiercely loyal fans. UM’s athletics programs include other varsity sports including men’s and women’s basketball, track and field, cross-country, and tennis, as well as women’s volleyball, soccer, and golf.
- Sports Illustrated ranked UM on its top 25 list of best college sports towns
- The football team won the NCAA FCS National Championship in 1995 and 2001, and was National Championship runner-up in 1996, 2000, 2004, 2008, and 2009
- The Grizzlies’ annual football game against the rival Montana State Bobcats is famously called the “Brawl of the Wild.” In 109 games, the Griz lead the rivalry with a record of 71-33-5.
- UM ranked 7th in Street & Smith’s magazine among all-time best women’s basketball programs
- UM has 18 club sports—including the 2007 MCLA-B national champion lacrosse team—and more than 30 intramural sports
- UM’s beloved Grizzly mascot, Monte, was 2002 and 2005 Capital One National Mascot of the Year