By JASON SHREDER
As a consumer in this day and age, we have lots of choices, sometimes too many choices. The list could go on and on. Well, I’m gonna help you narrow down those choices for all you river rats out there.
Each holiday season, we receive gifts that we never use and are pieces of junk. Why bother? I’m a gadget guy myself and I can’t have enough headlamps, mini flashlights, and small pocket knives with 25 attachments included. These gift ideas are sure to please that river runner in your family and guaranteed to get some use!
Below is my top 11 gift list this holiday season:
- Gift certificate from your local paddle shop.
- Gas card for all those shuttles.
- Yearly subscription to Kayak Session Magazine.
- A fresh pair of flip flops.
- A new throw bag (safety first!).
- Membership to American Whitewater (includes bi-monthly magazine and it’s a good cause!).
- Donation to The Max Wave (even better cause!).
- A kayak lesson for two (great for couples looking to bond or divorce).
- Gift Certificate from your favorite local burrito joint (kayakers love those cheap burritos!).
- New sponge (cheap – really cheap!).
- Portable iPod dock for that dance party at the take-out.
Some great stocking stuffers: Paddle wax, duct tape, 20’straps, beer coozie, bottle opener key chains, energy drinks, fresh set of Docs earplugs, beef jerky, nose plugs, safety whistle, iTunes gift card…. there are tons of fun and functional things every kayaker needs.
Anybody out there have some ideas I’m completely forgetting about? I want to hear some good ones!
Merry Christmas from the river rats at Zoo Town Surfers!
The water might be cold, but Jason’s got tons of awesome kayaking posts to keep you warm in his blog archive.
Jason Shreder is the owner of local whitewater company Zoo Town Surfers. He loves Missoula, the great community, and all the awesome water that surrounds it. He’s constantly moving and 90% of that movement involves kayaking, rafting, working, and hanging out with his awesomely supportive girlfriend and dogs.