By SILKE JAUCK
As proud as I am being a German, I am also proud to be an American. I try hard to buy made-in-the-USA products and support American businesses. Sometimes this gets frustrating, especially when buying clothes and school supplies for my children. Try finding something as simple as a pencil that’s made in America!
When I talk to my Missoula friends, I notice a growing awareness regarding the spending power of our dollars. Even my children check out where the items are made before they spend their allowance.
A few days ago, I read an article about buying American-made products for Christmas. According to the article, if each person spends $64 worth of our Christmas purchases on gifts made in America, it would create 200,000 new jobs.
What products are made in America and also make great Christmas presents? Let me introduce and recommend a few, including some Made in Montana Christmas gifts:
- First, there are our local businesses which provide services. Gift certificates for an oil change, massage, organizing service, or restaurant are great ideas.
- Looking for something “Made in Montana”? Many companies offer Christmas gift baskets like Glacier Country Honey in Babb, MT.
- Don’t forget to check out some of our local businesses for their specials. There is still plenty of time to have a Montana gift basket shipped to out-of-state friends and relatives.
- Are you looking for a good read as a present? We have big variety of local bookstores and publishers with a wonderful and inspiring selection of recent titles. One of my personal favorites is the stunning “Raptors of the West”, published by Mountain Press here in Missoula.
- Do you like recycled and fun materials? I found these cute plush faux-fur stoles for children that are made in USA.
- Are you looking for a special present for the hardworking Montana woman? Check out Red Ants Pants’ selection and be entertained by their amusing slide show.
Which “Made in America” businesses and products are among your favorites for this Christmas? Please share! I’m always looking for unique gift ideas for our many friends and relatives across the globe.
Merry Christmas from Montana!
Silke Jauck is a German native and Missoulian by choice. She and her family have packed and unpacked their suitcases and moving boxes in four continents and have finally settled in Missoula and called it home. She lives with her husband, three daughters, and a dwarf rabbit in the Target Range neighborhood. Silke is the publisher of Friendship Book, a made-in-Montana keepsake and activity book for children ages 6-12. She also has a blog about life hacks at Silke Good Ideas.